The Hoarding Exam (required for the Level II Hoarding Specialist Certificate) is held three times a year, at the ICD conference, the NAPO conference, and the POC conference.
The Hoarding Exam is only open to ICD subscribers. Upcoming candidates for Hoarding Specialist may take the Hoarding Exam providing they have received their Level II CD Specialist Certificate and have begun work on the Level I Certificate of Study in Basic Hoarding Issues with the CD Client. This means the Basic Hoarding teleclass must have been taken and full attendance credit received. The reading material needs to have been read. Listening to the Study Sessions is optional. See Study Session section below.
Hoarding Exam Components
The Hoarding Exam will consist of 25 multiple-choice questions based on the required reading material. The required reading is focused on hoarding issues and dealing with clients who have hoarding behaviors.
- Murphy, T. W. (2009). Life in rewind: The story of a young courageous man who persevered over OCD and the Harvard doctor who broke all the rules to help him. New York : William Morrow. Buy it on Amazon Buy it for the Kindle
- Neziroglu, F., Bubrick, J., & Yaryura-Tobias, J. A. (2004). Overcoming compulsive hoarding. Oakland , CA : New Harbinger. Buy it on Amazon Buy it for the Kindle
- Steketee, G., & Frost, R. O. (2007). Compulsive hoarding and acquiring workbook. New York : Oxford University Press. Buy it on Amazon
- Tolin, D. F., Frost, R. O., & Steketee, G. (2007). Buried in treasures: Help for compulsive acquiring, saving, and hoarding. Oxford and New York : Oxford University Press. Buy it on Amazon
- Tompkins, M. A., & Hartl, T. (2009). Digging out: Helping your loved one manage clutter, hoarding, and compulsive acquiring. Oakland , CA : New Harbinger. Buy it on Amazon
NOTE: ICD receives a small commission from Amazon through the "Buy it on Amazon" links on this page.
Click here to find out the exam dates, times, locations and to register
The fee to take the Hoarding Exam is $139.00. Those passing the exam will receive a Certificate of Passing. This document is required for completion of the Hoarding Specialist Certificate.
“ICD will make reasonable and appropriate testing accommodations to
subscribers when required. It is the student’s responsibility to make a request for accommodations in writing to the Certification Program Director at least six weeks before the date the exam is scheduled to be administered. The request needs to include the following:
- State the accommodation being requested
- Identify the reasons for the accommodation and include supporting documentation
- Provide suggestions as to how the accommodation can be achieved.”
The Hoarding Exam Study Session is available online.
In-Person study sessions will be offered at the annual ICD Conference.
Post-Exam Requirements and Applications
The Hoarding Specialist Certificate will be granted provided the specific application requirements are met within 2 years of passing the Hoarding Exam. These include earning a Level II CD Specialist Certificate, earning the Level I Basic Hoarding Issues with the CD Client Certificate, taking the required Advanced Hoarding teleclass, and taking an additional five hoarding teleclasses from the ICD.